Galaxy Nexus ROM Alert! One Day With Protostome, The AOKP/Linaro Hybrid ROM!!!!
So the other day we reported on some new developments in the Android ROM world. Linaro, a non-profit engineering organization has been hard at work optimizing Linux software and the early results are pretty impressive. With claims of speeding up Android 4.0.4 by up to 100%, the results speak for themselves. The Linaro team submitted their improvements to the crew over at CyanogenMod and they are currently looking at examining them. In the meantime a leaked build of a Linaro/CM9 hybrid leaked out that I personally flashed onto my phone. While the ROM was buttery smooth, stable, and fast I did not enjoy the extremely bad battery life. This is nothing against either ROM source, it is after all an early leaked build. So when Protostome dropped on Rootzwiki I knew I had to try it. This ROM combines AOKP with the Linaro improvements for a hybrid setup that, well so far is just bad ass. I will have a full write up coming on the ROM but in the mean time here are some screen shots and highlights.
The ROM features the usual AOKP goodies and mods but with alot of extras. Here is a short list of add-ons to this impressive ROM.
- Axiom core – Credit DroidTh3ory)
- Patient Zero theme – TRIAGE for AOKP (Credit DroidTh3ory)
– UI revert in addons, for that stock feel
–Theme chooser credit AOKP + CM9 teams
- Leankernel experimental 3.8.0 exp5 230 (Credit Imoseyon)
- DHOtheory: Sets up the kernel/ROM the way I like it, then self destructs on first boot, so you can change it later
- Rebuilt Beats 5.1 with Xloud + DOBLY SRS (Credit DroidTh3ory, PrimeDirective, and I helped)
- Bravia Engine (Credit DroidTh3ory)
- Apex is included as only launcher
- Added File Manager + Titanium BU (for easy crack flashing)
- Added speaker proximity
- 3G Uncap
- Power saving + performance tweaks
- Setup Wizard included WiFi option
- Ad block (Credit Big TinCan)
- Disabled colorcontrol safeties.
- Awesome boot animation credit WythDryden x2!!
- System optimizations – Kang PrimeDirective
- Photo/video optimizations – Kang PrimeDirective
- A-GPS. – Kang PrimeDirective –> Credit happily1986
I will have a full review in a few more days but for now I can say that the ROM’s theme is great. It is not too crazy, lots of black accents in all the right places but not enough to turn off anybody that doesn’t want to stray too far from stock. GPS is working great for me and battery life on Imoseyon’s Lean Kernel has been excellent. So stay tuned, full review to follow! In the meantime below is a link to the ROM and an article about Linaro.
JKeene, AndroREV Editor
We Are AndroREV, WE ARE!!!!